Skip to main content

The Long Walk by Stephen King


Image result for the long walk



 By Kate A.
     Stephen King's dystopian novel, The Long Walk, is about an annual competition where 100 teenage boys must walk at a steady pace of 4 mph until only one of them remains. In the Long Walk, each boy is given three warnings, and after all their warnings have been used, they are "ticketed." Readers learn early on in the book that buying a ticket means you are shot by one of the soldiers riding alongside the walkers in half-tracks. The last boy standing at the end of the Walk wins "The Prize", which is anything they want for the rest of their lives. The story is narrated by Ray Garraty, one of the participants in the Long Walk. Ray is from Maine, where the Walk starts and most of the story takes place.
     I have read a few of Stephen King's novels and short stories before The Long Walk, but this book was different. Unlike many of his stories, this book didn't involve anything supernatural, but there was an element of psychological horror as you watched each of the walkers break down mentally to the point where they are basically lifeless bodies that are somehow still walking after going on for over 24 hours without resting or slowing down. For the most part, I felt like Stephen King did a good job portraying each of the characters and their personalities. He also describes the pain the walkers were going through so you feel like you are walking with them and experiencing everything that was happening to Ray.
     The main complaint I have about the book is that the end was confusing. I understand that King might have wanted to leave the ending open for interpretation, but personally, I would have preferred it if he had just told us what happened. Aside from the ending, I enjoyed this book, and I would recommend it to any Stephen King fans or people who like dystopian books.

Comments

  1. I haven't read The Long Walk yet but I have read some book by Stephen King in the past. I like the way you described the plot and what you disliked about the book. I prefer to not read book with open ends but this one seems really interesting so I might check it out.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just read a Stephen King book and I have started to really enjoy his writing style. After reading your review, I am really interested in The Long Walk. Your review is fantastic and I like the way you described this book in a different light than most of Stephen King's other works. It almost seems like psychological horror is scarier than supernatural horror at times. I think I am going to check this book out!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I haven't read any Stephen King books before because they all seem really scary. The concept of this book is pretty interesting (and horrible). Overall, I think you did a good job at writing a review that described the plot without making it too complex. This book does sound interesting, and if I was interested in Stephen King books I would probably read this!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The Phantom Tollbooth Review - Jashan Takhar

Due to popular opinion among my classmates at the time, I expected The Phantom Tollbooth by Norton Juster to be a "really awesome good book" as a 5th grader several years ago. I read it, understood some of it, did not love it, and forgot it. The older-style writing bored me very quickly and I had thought back then that to fully enjoy a book it had to be fifteen years or younger. Now, going back to this children's classic, I can now comprehend the genius world-building and execution of The Phantom Tollbooth . Milo is a normal boy, who is extremely bored one day when he finds a strange package addressed to him that he does not know the contents of. He finds a tollbooth that he has to put together inside as well as a small electric car. He finishes the tollbooth, steps inside, and is immediately transported to the Lands Beyond. He finds himself suddenly driving on a road, an activity that he enjoys and thus continues doing. Little does he know that he is about to make new

Heartless (So Far)
John Brownridge

     During quarantine, I have been doing many things I don't usually get the chance to, like writing, reading superhero comics, practicing Karate, watching Anime ect. What I haven't been doing enough of, however is reading. That's why I am only about halfway through Heartless right now. Anyway, here are my thoughts.       Heartless is a book about a world that is based on a deck of cards. There are Kings, Jokers,  Jacks, ect.. The book takes place in the Kingdom of Hearts, where there is a King, but no queen. The story follows Catherine, who is a normal citizen of the kingdom, who's dream is to open a bake shop with her maid and best friend, Mary Ann. She learned to bake from many cook books in her mansion, and has gotten very good at it, gaining attention from the King himself, who wants to marry her. Catherine's  mom wants nothing less than for her daughter to be the queen, and would do anything to make this a reality. Catherine however, thinks that this will

Why Albrek's Tomb Was a Disappointment (so far)

John Brownridge

      Adventurers Wanted: Albrek's Tomb, the third book in the Adventurers wanted series follows Alexander Taylor (goes by Alex) as he is requested by one of his old company members to find Albrek, a dwarf who went missing searching for new mines in the village of Thraxon.  Alex and his company have to go through many dangerous places to get to Thraxon in search of Albrek, and run into trouble along the way.        I really liked the first two books in the Adventurers Wanted series, Slagboth's gold , and The Horn of Moran. Slagboth's gold  and The Horn of Moran  were Alex's first two adventures, which introduced me to the fantasy world of magic and adventures, all throughout the book. It was fun to see Alex adapt from being a normal sixteen year old kid, to an adventurer on a quest to find gold, having to slay dragons in the process. I was able to experience getting to know magic in the world for the first time with Alex, and it was fun to see how he decided to deal