Skip to main content

Review of the Iron Trial - Jashan Takhar

When I began reading Magisterium by Cassandra Clare and Holly Black with The Iron Trial, I thought that I was going to experience a Harry Potter knock-off. While the basic premise of Magisterium sounds similar to Harry Potter, what with the story revolving around three friends that go to a magic school unknown to ordinary humans as they conquer their fears, go on adventures, etc., it is definitely a series, Iron Trial in particular, that has some of its own unique moments.

The Iron Trial 


Callum Hunt is a 12-year-old without any knowledge of the existence of magic. He has a whole family of mages, but his father wants to protect him from the various dangers of the magic world. His mother died before he ever got to know her. Call lives a normal life that is changed one day when he receives an invitation to attend the trials of Magisterium, the secret underground mage school where his father and mother went. Call does what he is told to by his father during the trials, which is to intentionally fail and return home. To his surprise, Call passes the trials and is accepted into the Magisterium. He is assigned to one of the most respected mages in the Magisterium, along with a boy named Aaron and a girl named Tamara. Throughout this book, the three tackle exciting assignments, and through it all, Call learns about the real reason he was chosen to come to the Magisterium - a powerful ability that Aaron also possesses. Together they face multiple enemies.

The Iron Trial was a book that I picked to read while browsing, instead of being recommended. I didn't think much of it, but I hadn't realized that I would find it interesting. The book teaches reader friendship, teamwork, and persistence through the adventures of the unlikely trio of popular Aaron, unpopular Call, and intelligent Tamara. I liked how Call was introduced to the series - instead of having a clear goal in front of him, Call is shown as a realistic character that does not want to work hard for everything, does not want friends, and still has a long way to go as a person. Throughout the series, Call goes through a lot of character development, which will be shown later. A defining part of the entire series is coming-of-age.

The friendship between Call, Aaron, and Tamara is also compelling. Understanding that the three were thrown into a group by chance rather than choice shows the uneasy relationship as the students slowly learn more about each other. Call doesn't want anything to do with anyone in the Magisterium at first, but he realizes that there are people there that care for him. The authors taught fitting in and team bonding with this.

One of the most important things to take away from The Iron Trial is how Call realizes and embraces his former fears of magic through the Magisterium and goes through experiences that bring out his inner strength. It goes to show how one place, person, or thing can change you dramatically. 

As with the entirety of the Magisterium series, The Iron Trial is not lengthy in pages, thus being concise and fast-paced in some parts. If there is anything that I might say I did not like about The Iron Trial, it is that some parts actually felt slower to get through, and it felt like the authors were not managing their pages well enough. Some action scenes were too quick, and some unnecessary scenes were too long. The contemporary world of The Iron Trial believable despite being a fantasy novel. 

My rating: 
8.5/10



Comments

  1. Your review makes The Iron Trial sound intriguing and the plot sounds well-developed. I think it's interesting how the main character is much less impressive than Harry was when he entered the magical world, and it seems like a good idea to show the school from an average student's perspective. I like your idea about how one thing can change a person dramatically--this idea seems like the essence of both this book and Harry Potter. I enjoyed reading your review, and I might read the book sometime!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your review does a nice job of summarizing the Iron Trial. Your descriptions of Tamara, Aaron, and Call's friendship being very compelling and realistic makes me also want to read The Iron Trial. Call is also unlike many other main characters, having tried to fail the test to get into Magisterium on purpose. I enjoyed reading Harry Potter and other Cassandra Clare books, and after seeing this review, I might give The Iron Trial a try as well!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can definitely see why you were expecting a budget Harry Potter of sorts when you heard the plot and how the main characters meet in a school for magic. That would have been enough to make me uninterested, but your review makes it clear that the plot of Magisterium is different from the Harry Potter series, which is good as it raises my interest in the book. I also liked how you included the feelings that the book produces and the skills that the characters can teach the readers.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have read this series in the past but got bored with it once I got to the third book. I actually completely forgot about the series until I read this review! When I read the book, I didn't notice its resemblance to Harry Potter, although I am now realizing that there are many similarities between this book and Harry Potter. I didn't like the series much myself, but your positive review of the book has made me want to give it another go. Overall, great review.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The Phantom Tollbooth Review - Jashan Takhar

Due to popular opinion among my classmates at the time, I expected The Phantom Tollbooth by Norton Juster to be a "really awesome good book" as a 5th grader several years ago. I read it, understood some of it, did not love it, and forgot it. The older-style writing bored me very quickly and I had thought back then that to fully enjoy a book it had to be fifteen years or younger. Now, going back to this children's classic, I can now comprehend the genius world-building and execution of The Phantom Tollbooth . Milo is a normal boy, who is extremely bored one day when he finds a strange package addressed to him that he does not know the contents of. He finds a tollbooth that he has to put together inside as well as a small electric car. He finishes the tollbooth, steps inside, and is immediately transported to the Lands Beyond. He finds himself suddenly driving on a road, an activity that he enjoys and thus continues doing. Little does he know that he is about to make new

Heartless (So Far)
John Brownridge

     During quarantine, I have been doing many things I don't usually get the chance to, like writing, reading superhero comics, practicing Karate, watching Anime ect. What I haven't been doing enough of, however is reading. That's why I am only about halfway through Heartless right now. Anyway, here are my thoughts.       Heartless is a book about a world that is based on a deck of cards. There are Kings, Jokers,  Jacks, ect.. The book takes place in the Kingdom of Hearts, where there is a King, but no queen. The story follows Catherine, who is a normal citizen of the kingdom, who's dream is to open a bake shop with her maid and best friend, Mary Ann. She learned to bake from many cook books in her mansion, and has gotten very good at it, gaining attention from the King himself, who wants to marry her. Catherine's  mom wants nothing less than for her daughter to be the queen, and would do anything to make this a reality. Catherine however, thinks that this will

Why Albrek's Tomb Was a Disappointment (so far)

John Brownridge

      Adventurers Wanted: Albrek's Tomb, the third book in the Adventurers wanted series follows Alexander Taylor (goes by Alex) as he is requested by one of his old company members to find Albrek, a dwarf who went missing searching for new mines in the village of Thraxon.  Alex and his company have to go through many dangerous places to get to Thraxon in search of Albrek, and run into trouble along the way.        I really liked the first two books in the Adventurers Wanted series, Slagboth's gold , and The Horn of Moran. Slagboth's gold  and The Horn of Moran  were Alex's first two adventures, which introduced me to the fantasy world of magic and adventures, all throughout the book. It was fun to see Alex adapt from being a normal sixteen year old kid, to an adventurer on a quest to find gold, having to slay dragons in the process. I was able to experience getting to know magic in the world for the first time with Alex, and it was fun to see how he decided to deal